Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Alu Baigan / Potato Eggplant stir fry



Time just flies.. Diwali, Dushera are over and now we are looking forward to the festivals here..Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I was was thinking about other recipes to make with the eggplant lying in my refrigerator and the potatoes lying in my pantry. Potatoes and eggplant is a simple combination but yet very tasty and delish. When we were residing in North India, my mom picked up many recipes and techniques from the North India cuisine. My most favorite sabzi's were gilki (which is a squash like vegetable..similar to zucchini ) sabzi, lauki sabzi, tamtar sabzi..and the list goes on. The other day when I was thinking which way to cook potatoes and eggplant, I decided to make this vegetable. It is spicy with lots of goodness of garlic and ginger. I forgot to take a photo of this dish when I made it and remembered only when we had eaten all of it. I will add a photo when I try it the next time. It goes well with roti and curd.

Ingredients

2 cups cubed eggplant or brinjal
1 cup cubed potato
2 medium tomatoes
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder or as per taste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoon oil
salt for taste

Method
Heat oil in a pan and add oil. When the oil heats, add cumin seeds and turmeric. Then add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes away. Add chopped onion and fry till golden brown. Add tomato and fry till the tomatoes are soft. Add coriander powder, chili powder and garam masala powder and mix well. Add the cubed eggplant and potatoes. Add 1/8th cup water and cook covered on medium flame till the potato and eggplant are well cooked. Add salt for taste. Serve hot with roti.



1 comment:

Chitra said...

Never tried this way..will surely try and let u know :)