Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Making Chappati using Chappati Maker


When I was in Coorg, I saw G Aunty make chappati and Akki roti or rice roti's using this chappati press. I got a press when I was returning to US and it has made chappati-making much simpler. It is so easy to press chappatis rather than roll them. It saves me a lot of time as there is no mess created by the dry wheat flour used while rolling the chappatis as the pressing process does not require the dough to be rolled in dry flour. Also the chappatis remain very soft even when they cool down. I also use 1 teaspoon of ground flax seeds and wheat bran for every 3 cups of wheat flour to make it healthier.

Method:

1 teaspoon ground flax seed, 1 teaspoon wheat bran

Add the wheat bran and ground flax seeds to 3 cups of whole wheat flour. Add 2 teaspoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Add water (it should eb at room temperature) as desired and mix the flour into a dough with your fingers. Instead of water, 50% milk and 50% water can also be added. Keep the dough aside for 20-30 minutes.


Two plastic sheet are needed to keep the chappati from sticking to the press. I cut the ziplock into half and use it to line the press. Apply a drop of oil and spread it on the inner side of the sheets. Keep a piece of chappati dough between two plastic sheets.

Press the dough using the press.


Move the chappati around and make sure to press it on all sides. If the dough sticks to the plastic apply another drop of oil to keep it from sticking.



 Roast the chappati on the griddle till spots appear on both sides. As I add oil while making the dough,  I don't apply ghee on the chappati. But if desired ghee can be applied on the chappati.

No comments: