Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Barley Khichidi




I found barley at the Indian store. I have recently heard about the advantages of eating oats and barley and want to include both these cereals in my daily recipes. You may wish to read some advantages of barley here. I found that barley has a similar texture and taste like whole wheat grain. I have known people preparing barley water, but I wanted to make some dish with the whole barley in it. I tried out this khichidi which has a very Indian flavor. Both I and my husband enjoyed this dish for dinner.

Ingredients

200 grams pearl barley
50 grams toor dal
1 carrot
(chopped)
1 zucchini (chopped)
2-3 cloves
1 small cinnamon stick
3-4 spring onions (optional as cilantro or coriander can be also used as garnish)
7-8 mushrooms (washed and chopped)
4 tablespoon corn kernels
5 beans (chopped)
1 small onion (chopped)
1/2 cup peas
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
3 pinch
asafoetida
1/8th teaspoon garam masala (optional)
salt for taste

Method
Wash and soak the barley and dal overnight. Rinse it the next day and keep it aside. Add oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon and asafoetida in hot oil. Add the chopped onion and ginger and saute for 4-5 minutes. Mix in all the vegetables except spring onion and cilantro. Add the chili powder, salt, dal and barley. Stir in 500 ml water. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Garnish with garam masala and cilantro or spring onions. Serve hot with raita , salad or papad.

Preparation time: 35 minutes excluding soaking time
Serves: 2

No comments: