Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Fried Ivy gourd or Tindora / Tendli Talasan



Ivy gourd or tendli is a a very tasty vegetable. Tendi talasan is a Konkani recipe which involves spicy, stir fried ivy gourd . This was one of my and my bappama's (father's mother) favorite recipes. After coming home from school, the first thing I would do was to rush in the kitchen to see what my bapamma had prepared for lunch with bapamma behind me, telling me to wash hands before touching food :). I would be very happy to see tendi talasan on the menu. I would relish it with rice mixed with milk. My husband also loves tendli talasan and I make this dish very often. While buying tendli, ensure that you pick the thin slender ones and not the fat thick ones. The fat ones may be ripened and may have red seeds in them. The tendi with red seeds is discarded and not used for any recipes.


Ingredients
250 gm tendli or ivy gourd
4 pinch of asafoetida
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoon oil
salt for taste

Method

Wash and cut both the ends of the tendli. Now crush the tendli. Take care not to split open the tendi while crushing as this can burn the tendi while cooking.




In a wide bottomed pan add oil and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splutter, add turmeric powder and chili powder. Add the crushed tendli immediately and mix well with the spices. Cook covered on a very low flame till the tendili is tender. Then cook uncovered on a low flame till outer sides of the tendi are caramelized well. (I cook 250 gms of tendi for around 45 minutes stirring the tendi frequently) Serve hot with rice or chappati.

Preparation time: 70 minutes
Serves: 2-3


No comments: